Conejohela Chapter 28, of the Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology (S.P.A.) is a non-profit organization which promotes the advancement of scientific research, investigation, collection and preservation of archaeological remains and materials in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Conejohela Chapter serves Lancaster and York Counties.
S.P.A. chapters often assist with excavations being conducted by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Many of us spend days discovering new archaeological sites in Lancaster and York counties. Our chapter emphasizes the importance of cataloging and recording artifacts we have discovered.
Our chapter meets the 3rd Sunday of every month, 1 PM, November – February, 4 PM March – October at the Columbia Historic Preservation Society’s Banner Hall located at 21 North 2nd Street, Columbia, Pennsylvania 17512.
Society of Pennsylvania Archaeology, Chapter 28 would like to extend an invitation to attend a free lecture on excavating a prehistoric site. Anyone interested in local archaeology and participation in excavations will benefit from this introduction presentation.
Debbie Saylor, Curator & Research Director from Indian Steps Museum and Vice-President of the Conejohela Chapter 28, SPA will be presenting a lecture and hands on display featuring prehistoric projectile points, stone tools and early pottery development. Learn how to locate and identify local artifacts. Discover how primitive tribes survived along the Susquehanna River.
Orientation on proper excavation methods of an archaeological site will also be discussed and future sites will be revealed.
Don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity to uncover Pennsylvania’s past.
More information on Chapter 28, SPA Facebook: York and Lancaster Archaeology- SPA Chapter 28
Date: March 19th, Sunday 1:00
Location: Columbia Historic Preservation Society
21 North 2nd Street, Columbia, PA
Topic: Archaeology Along the Susquehanna
Recent Archaeology Site
Sept. 2016 Chapter 28 members assembled to excavate a privy on the property of Friends Meeting House in York. The historical background of the property proved to be very exciting and many historical artifacts were uncovered. The York Meeting House is a historic Quaker house located at 134 West Philadelphia Street in York, PA. It was built in 1766 and expanded in 1783. The original building was a two-bay brick structure with a gable roof. Many artifacts ranging from glassware, old bottles, ceramics, bricks, old leather shoes, buttons, nails, etc. These items will be returned to the Meeting house ( once cleaned and cataloged) to be placed on display.